The perfectionist in me couldn't live with the 'untidy' cross stitches I ended up with in the stitched border, so I went with this trim instead. Some work needs doing to tidy the trim up a bit, but I do like the overall look of this block. I couldn't iron it, because the blue tracing lines haven't entirely faded.
Block 2 is coming along nicely too. It has four churn dash blocks, of which I have one completed and two cut and prepared, but not yet pieced. It also has one stitched snow flake block similar to the two in block 1.
The fabric looks grey in these photos, but it is a taupe-coloured linen-look fabric.